The Beatrice Laing Trust
The Beatrice Laing Trust was established in 1952 by Sir John Laing. Its focus is on the relief of poverty and the advancement of the evangelical Christian faith, both at home and abroad. Financial support is given to a wide range of charities seeking to relieve poverty in its broadest sense, both throughout the UK and overseas. Grant recipients include:
- Organisations, many of them Christian organisations working to express their faith through practical action to help those in need, offering direct support to the most vulnerable and disadvantaged in society, including:
- the homeless
- the elderly
- former Servicemen and women
- Charities providing practical services to people with physical, mental and learning difficulties and their families/carers. Examples include:
- special schools seeking to develop and expand their facilities in order to enable them to meet the needs of people with increasingly complex disabilities
- those involved in supporting young people with complex needs in the transition into adulthood, providing supported accommodation and opportunities for training/meaningful employment
- those seeking to provide facilities for respite care
- Organisations providing opportunities for training and development to young people, in particular those who are disadvantaged or ‘at risk’.
- Small-scale overseas development projects aiming to build the capacity of local partners to develop long-term sustainable solutions to local problems in countries in the developing world.
In the year ended 5th April 2013 the Trust made 245 grants totalling £1,389,350. Grants typically range between £1,000 and £5,000, although the Trust has the capacity to make a few larger grants each year. A further 92 grants totalling £366,500 were made using funds allocated by the J W Laing Trust. These additional funds were largely made available for projects of new church building, extension or redevelopment, with a particular focus on churches involved in taking the Christian message to, and meeting the practical needs of, their local community.
Christopher Maurice Laing (Chairman)
David Eric Laing
Sir John Martin Kirby Laing
Charles William David Laing
Paula Joan Stephanie Blacker
Alexandra Catherine Beatrice Jane Gregory
Charity Number: 211884
The Foundation's latest annual report and accounts can be viewed on the Charity Commission's website.